Monday, June 14, 2010

Kick for a Cure

On Saturday, June 5th, I went to the fourth annual Kick for a Cure soccer tournament and festival. This event is organized by Duchenne San Diego, a charity which, through this and other events, raises funds for Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy (PPMD) to find a cure for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. The charity was started by the husband and wife team of Helena and Jason, whose nephew has DMD. They are truly dedicated to this cause, which is very dear to their hearts. Everyone that works for this charity, including Helena and Jason, are all volunteers. Since they don't have a payroll, they have a lower overhead, and can put more into their cause.

The event included a soccer tournament, with about fifty teams from all over San Diego County, competing on the atheletic field at Westview High School. They also had a festival area with booths with various vendors and a fun zone with games and a balloon bounce. Among the games was human foosball, which was a lot of fun to watch and was a lot of fun for the players as well. The local news station, KUSI was there to cover the event. I was on camera with the volunteers in an enthusiastic cheer which was aired to close the nightly news.

I am a big supporter of this charity and hope to be able to help them out in any way I can. Having DMD myself, I have a large stake in the search for a cure. I have lost friends and would like a cure to be found. A cure may not be found in time for me, but my hope is for the children with this disease, and those yet to be born with this disease. It is my hope that they will see the day when medical science will find a cure for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.

1 comment:

mary said...

Hi John,
I have been folowing your blog for quite some time. You have been an inspiration to me. Our little boy was diagnosed with Duchene's a couple of years ago. He just turned 9 years old. We adopted Tony out of foster care at the age of 3 months old. You can see him if you go to www.caringbridge.org/visit/tonyfiedler Thanks again for helping us families who are new to the world of Duchene's Muscular Dystrophy. You are giving us hope.
Mary Fiedler