Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Olympic Torch Relay Fiasco

I am saddened to see the disruptions of the international Olympic torch relay. The International Olympic Commitee (IOC) may cancel the rest of it. The international torch relay has become a nice tradition. It symbolizes good will among man, and is not a forum for politics. I can understand the anger towards China over the unjust occupation of Tibet, but there are other forums for protest; the Olympics is not the right one. I am also bothered by talks of boycotts of the Beijing games. The atheletes give it their all to be a part of the games, and for their country to deny them this chance because of politics completely goes against the spirit of the olympics, and denies them their chance to shine. I was against the U.S. boycott of the 1980 Moscow games, the Soviet boycott of the 1984 Los Angeles games, and I would be against a boycott of the Beijing games. The Olympics should transcend politics. We should let China enjoy it's moment in the sun and push politics aside for the sake of the games.

1 comment:

Lance Anderson said...

Hey John

I'm with you on this one too. The Olympics are one of the few things we can share as one world.

Plus, I don't think this is a great time to offend the Chinese. I think they would hold it against us and exploit our weaknesses in our economy, and maybe even our military.

Either way, everyone needs to take another listen to your blog's themes song, Imagine.

Keep 'em coming.

Cheers,

--Lance